In the market, there are products that are sold individually and as a group of some individual products. More often, the sale of a group of products as a single product poses a difficulty compared to the sale of an individual product which includes the right selection of the component products, stock management of the component products etc. As an ERP software, Odoo comes up with a feature, ‘Kit’ which enables us to sell a group of products as a single product and also eases out the sale and inventory(stock) management.
How to configure KIT?
From the Odoo Apps, install the Sales, Inventory and Manufacturing apps respectively.
1. Create a product (parent) and the component products that constitute the parent product.
Go to Sales >> Products >> Create.
[Please ensure that the product type of the component products should be Stockable. Also, they can be purchased and sold as a single product if needed. So, enable the fields Can be Sold and Can be Purchased.]
2. Disable the Can be Purchased field under the parent product since the given product is sold as a group of its component products and cannot be purchased as it is.
3. Select the product category of the parent product as Consumable in the General Information tab since the parent product is not accounted in the stock.
4. Enable the route Manufacture in the Inventory tab.
5. Create a Bill of Materials(BoM) for the parent product comprising of its component products along with their quantity. When creating a BoM, make sure that the product name is the same as the parent product created and the BoM Type selected is Kit.
Bill of Materials can be created in two ways.
i. Clicking on the Bill of Materials button in the product page.
ii. Go to Manufacturing > Master Data > Bill of Materials.
6. Create a sale order with the product which is to be sold as a ‘kit’.
7. The product sold as a kit appears as a single product in the sale order whereas the delivery order lists out the component products.
8. After the delivery, the stock of the component products is validated.