ERP implementation is no less than a nightmare as there is always a tussle between getting the ERP implementation right or wrong. The businesses many counter with many ERP implementation challenges with respect to the selection, data quality, technical, managerial, say even the psychological aspects. Therefore it is greatly advised that you keep your ERP implementation in strict control, never proceed with unwanted undertakings. Also, it is advocated that the business go for certain checklists before starting the ERP implementation.
Remember a well-executed ERP implementation assuredly promises business efficiency and gives you unlimited business reaps. However, a wrong ERP implementation can be a spoiler spot bloating your company with only losses. Today ERP has become an inevitable part of the business as it helps in streamlining the entire operations and ensuring productivity in large volumes. With automation of ERP, a large number of manual undertakings in the business have significantly gone down and there is increased collaboration and coordination among the business departments. The speedy and quick conduction of business tasks has narrowed down the administrative burdens of the business managers, helping them to focus more on their sales, marketing, and other strategic business developments. Thus, in short, ERP is a blessing to the business organizations to combat rising challenges, adhering to compliances and many like.
However, implementing an ERP comes along with numerous business challenges. Have a glance before heading to ERP implementation checklists.
Selection Challenge: When choosing to have an ERP implementation at your business end, the premier or the foremost inquiry to spring up in the heads of supervisors and CEOs is the type of ERP, the scope of ERP, scalability, budget, and so on. Hundreds of thoughts keep pondering whether the ERP implementation will come right for the business, will it suits the organization's spending limit, inclinations, and industry needs. Therefore practice good research to choose the best ERP matching your business requirement. Give a sound and insightful approach to finding your ERP. Do not rush in making the ERP choice. Remember a cautious ERP implementation approach saves businesses from remorse.
Technical Challenge: Once you got over with the selection challenge, you are soon to be followed with technical. You may need to revamp your server, workstation to assure the compatibility with the soon to be implemented ERP application. However, with the right ERP implementation partner, you can figure out things faster.
Data quality challenges: There comes a large obstacle, information created through heritage framework probably not compatible with the new ERP framework that is designed. However, meticulous project planning helps in evading the tussle between the heritage ERP framework and the newly coined ERP. A properly planned project clearly outlines the potential modifications demanded for the system’s consistent working.
Managerial Challenges: ERP execution triggers significant changes in the business's directs, model and practices. With another ERP framework set up, data entered by one user is quickly accessible to different others and that too in real-time. This incredibly lifts the role of the responsibilities of the users.
Meanwhile, there comes the necessity to implement new administrative practices and standards. Likewise, steps ought to be taken to redo or update existing practices and make them perfect with the new ERP framework.
Psychological challenges: This is yet another hurdle with ERP implementation. Your organization will be a mix of heterogeneous employee communities, with few open to changes and few resistant. Therefore, when it comes to an ERP implementation, you may see many disinterested faces. So how do you overcome this challenge? No big deal. Make all your employees a part of this ERP implementation. Take suggestions from them regarding the requirements and needs. This not only helps in making the right ERP choices but also encouraging the employees to quickly adopt the software and become compatible with the new application.
Checklists for ERP implementation
1. A strong team to execute an ERP implementation project.
2. Documentation of current business processes, common problems, and missed opportunities.
3. Defining the exact requirements and functionality needed in the application.
4. Specifying clearly the goals and objectives of ERP implementation.
5. Setting a proper timeline and budget.
6. Determining key performance indicators and desired results.
7. Making a blueprint of how a new framework will behave in various business departments.
8. Assurance of networking facilities and other hardware infrastructures.
9. Migration Review
10. Removing out-of-date information.
11. Placing new databases, mapping database fields among new and old.
12. Testing interfaces, functionality and reports with real-life scenarios and transaction data.
13. Developing a clear training program, thoroughly onboard the trainers and begin training users.
14. Maintaining proper and consistent communication with all throughout the ERP implementation process.
15. Assuring the participation of users and taking their feedback to make changes in the application.
16. Prioritize every business department and key operations.