In this blog, we will be discussing the configuration on PyCharm for Odoo 13 development in the windows operating system. Although installing and running Odoo in windows OS is simpler when compared to the ubuntu. But when it comes to the development of Odoo it may be difficult for someone who is not familiar with Windows OS.
We have to ensure the following steps while configuring PyCharm for Odoo development.
1. Installing required python (here python 3.6)
2. Installing PostgreSQL(recommending latest version)
3. Adding path of python, PostgreSQL to the system variables(This is an important step)
4. pip installation
From the following link, we can download and install python 3.6
https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-360/ from here choose the download according to your system specifications.
We can download and install PyCharm from following
Odoo 13 download
We can download the Odoo V13 from the odoo repository
Either we can clone or download as a zip folder.
So our basic three steps are completed, now we have the python, PostgreSQL and PyCharm.
Now we can move on to create a new role.
First, go to the PostgreSQL installation directory using ‘cd’ (usually “C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL”)
cd "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.6\bin"
createuser.exe --createdb --username postgres --no-createrole --pwprompt odoo
We have to add the path of python and PostgreSQL to the path for making its available in future actions.
Steps to add python to path.
1. Open This PC right-click and select Properties.
2. In the sidebar, we can now see Advanced system settings.
3. After clicking on the Advanced system settings we have the option for adding Environment variables.
4. Go to System Variables and select path in it.
5. By clicking on New we will have the option for adding a new system variable. From there we can set the variable name and value. The value should be the path to the python directory which we installed and the name can be any name which we prefer(For easy identification you can set Python3/Python etc..)
We can use the above similar steps for adding the Postgres to the path.
First, we have to download get-pip.py (https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py) after that go to the download folder of this file and open cmd from this folder and run python get-pip.py.
Now we have to move to the final step which is configuration odoo using the pycharm.
1. Open pycharm
2. We have to create a .conf file like below
; admin_passwd = admin
db_host = localhost
db_port = 5432
db_user = odoo
db_password =odoo (the password you have provided when the user is created)
xmlrpc_port = 8555
addons_path = C:\Users\odoo13\addons
If you need to change the running port just change the xmlrpc_port = your required port
If we met with an error of module not available you can install the module from pycharm itself by going to File -> Settings -> Project Interpreter there will be a ‘+’ sign while clicking on that we can search the required packages and install from there
Now we can run Odoo from PyCharm.